The First Day

On February 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM I received a text message that said call me ASAP. This was a message from the wife of one of Nick’s close friends who he happened to be snowmobiling with. I called her and she said the words I prayed I would never hear, “the boys were in an avalanche”.

Justin, a friend of mine and Nick’s, picked me up and we all met at one house to wait for more information. About one hour later Justin told me that Nick died in the avalanche. Being a police officer I know how difficult it is to deliver this kind of news to anyone, let alone one of your friends. I instantly felt my entire world collapse and I entered my absolute worst nightmare. I ran outside and prayed that Nick was okay. I knew Nick was gone but I needed him to be okay, at peace and not in pain. I begged him to send me a sign. Anything to let me know that he was not upset and that he did not feel bad that he had to go.

Calling Nick’s Uncle and best friend and everyone else I knew was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. How do you tell people your fiancé has died? I couldn’t even say the word. I told people he was in an avalanche and didn’t make it.

My phone blew up with messages from close friends, people I hadn’t talked to in years, people I didn’t know and family members who were absolutely heart broken. In a blink of an eye I went from planning my wedding and my life with the love of my life, to having my world flipped upside down.

I spent the night numb and couldn’t even fathom what the days ahead were going to feel like.

One thought on “The First Day

Add yours

  1. Your Grandma MacRae showed me Nick’s funeral brochure when I was passing through Swift Current yesterday with some of my family. I hadn’t seen her in years. Just want to let you know that I’m so very sorry for your loss. My dad’s cousin on his other side died in an avalanche in BC the month before your fiance – also an experienced snowmobiler.

Leave a Reply

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: